Wrap up Christmas lunch with this simple dessert. It is basically ready made ice-cream and ready made Christmas cake layers. Put a new spin on it using your imagination and decorating it using chocolates, marshmallows, nuts, meringue, chocolate sauce etc. plus any Christmas decorations you have at hand!
- 1 1/2 tubs of vanilla Ice-cream ( one litre)
- 1 tub of chocolate ice-cream ( 1 litre)
- 1 lightly fruited Christmas cake ( approximately 700g)
- 1/4 cup Brandy or Cognac
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- To make the bombe prepare the bombe mould by lining it with Glad Wrap.
- Spread softened vanilla ice-cream with a spoon in an even layer on the base of the mould. Smooth the surface of the ice cream layer using a spatula. Freeze until very firm, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the cake into slices.
- Arrange the Christmas cake slices around the vanilla ice-cream then spread the chocolate ice cream in a flat and smooth layer over the Christmas cake. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Once the chocolate ice- cream is firm arrange another layer of Christmas cake slices and then spoon the Brandy syrup over the cake. Cover the Christmas cake with another layer of softened vanilla ice-cream and freeze.
- Once the bombe is frozen, cover the mould with wax paper and the remaining cling film. If the mould has a lid, close the lid and put the bombe in the freezer until you are ready to decorate it.
- To unmould the bombe dip it into hot water for a few seconds then invert it onto a serving dish and remove the Glad Wrap.
- Drizzle the chocolate cover over the Bombe and decorate it. Return it to the freezer until ready to slice.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Cover
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- Place the chocolate and shortening in a heat proof bowl and set it over a pot of simmering water. Stir until the chocolate and shortening melt. Let it cool slightly, then slowly pour it over the bombe.
- Decorate the Bombe and freeze it until the chocolate has set, about 10 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve use a knife dipped in hot water to cut the slices.
Ingredients and Method for the Brandy Syrup
Make a syrup by mixing 1/4 cup of Brandy, 1/2 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved. Drizzle over the cake.
- you can change the flavours of the ice-creams but keep them simple
- Instead of Brandy you can use, Grand Manier, Bailys or any other liqueur that you like.