Simple recipe that bursts with flavour. This recipe is from Seven Fires cookbook by Francis Mallmann. When oranges are in season this is definitely my favourite orange recipe.
- 4 oranges
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain thick Greek yoghurt
- Cut both ends off the oranges with a bread knife. Remove the peel. Cut the oranges crosswise in half and set aside.
- Sprinkle the rosemary over the oranges, and push some of the rosemary leaves into the oranges so they stick to it. Sprinkle half the sugar on top.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the remaining sugar on the cooking surface and when it begins to melt put the oranges cut side down on the sugar. Do not move them for 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust the heat so that the cut side burns nicely but does not smell acrid and the oranges are softened.
4- Transfer “burnt” side up to individual plates.
5- Spoon the yogurt next to the oranges. Drizzle the burnt sugar and juices from the pan over the oranges and yogurt and serve.
- There will be lots of smoke in the house. Open the windows and doors or cook on the BBQ.