The beauty of these cupcakes is the combination of chocolate and coffee. They are a delicious perfection, moist and decadent!
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 125 grams butter, chopped in cubes
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup plain flour
Coffee Cream Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease the cupcake moulds.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not allow the bowl to touch the water) stir occasionally until melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer for about 8 minutes or until tripled in volume.
- Fold in the sifted flour.
- Gradually fold in the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture with a ladle into the moulds or cupcake moulds.
- Bake them for about 20 minutes or until firm to touch. The top of the cupcakes should have a flaky crust and they should be soft on the sides when you touch them. Stand for a few minutes to cool and take them out of the moulds. Serve the cupcakes with coffee cream.
Method for the Coffee Cream
- Combine the coffee and the water in a small cup, stir until the coffee is dissolved.
- Beat the cream and sugar and coffee mixture in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- With a spoon cover the cupcakes with the cream and sprinkle them with the cocoa powder.
- The cupcakes should be served cold or the coffee cream will melt.