Late summer harvest!
Plums are in season in Perth. They are dark reddish with shades of purple. Some are big some are small but definitely they are all sweet!
These light-as-air cakes will be a hit in your home and they are surprisingly easy to make.
- 125g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 50g plain flour
- 115g icing sugar
- 75g ground almonds
- 4 medium size free range egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large plums, stoned and cut into thick wedges
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease a small 12 hole muffin tin with a little butter.
- Melt the butter.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the ground almonds.
- Put the egg whites in a separate, throughly clean, bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Stir the almond extract and melted butter into the flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold a quarter of the egg whites into the butter and flour mixture to lighten it. Then fold in the remainder until just combined.
- Divide the mixture between the holes in the tin.
- Arrange the plums on top and sprinkle them with Demerara sugar.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until firm and golden around the edges.
- Leave them in the tin for another 5 minutes, then loosen the edges with a knife and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with lightly dusted icing sugar.
- If your plums are not too sweet, put one or two table spoons of sugar in a bowl and toss the plum slices. Let them rest for half an hour.
- They make a beautiful and tasty present. Put them in a box or tin and give them to family and friends.
- Plums can be substitute by other summer seasonal fruits such a nectarines and peaches.