Ingredients for the Syrup
- 8 tamarillos
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- peel of 1 lime
- Wash and dry the Tamarillos.
- To peel the Tamarillos: bring 1 litre of water to a boil and put the Tamarillos in for 1 minute to cook. Prepared a large bowl of water with ice cubes and put the Tamarillos in for a few seconds until they are cold enough to handle. Use a paring knife to peel the Tamarillos. DO NOT CUT OUT THE STEM.
- Combine sugar, water, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a medium sized sauce-pan over medium high heat. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to boil until the mixture slightly thickens.
- Using your hands arrange the Tamarillos in the syrup and add the lime peel. Simmer the Tamarillos for 3 minutes with the lid of the saucepan on. Turn the Tamarillos using a spoon and simmer them for another 5 minutes or until the Tamarillos are tender.
- Gently spoon the Tamarillos into a glass bowl and pour the syrup on top. Let them cool and put them in the refrigerator.
- Serve them in glass cups or bowls. You can accompany them with yoghurt, cream, or vanilla ice cream on the side.
- The Tamarillos can be kept in a covered jar in the refrigerator for a week.