When it comes to salads I have come to the conclusion that a salad bowl is only limited by imagination, so try different greens, vegetables, dressings, and nuts. This recipe is colourful and flavour-packed and the ponzu dressing transforms it from an ordinary salad to an exceptional one.
Look out for this tempting salad to partner with grilled meats or fish …. or enjoy it on its own as I do!
- 2 sweet corn cobs, husks removed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, plus extra for rubbing the corn
- 50ml soy sauce
- 40ml mirin
- 40ml lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 courgettes ( Zucchini), trimmed
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, roasted
- fresh coriander
- Preheat the barbecue or griddle to high. Rub the corn with a little sesame oil then cook for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until charred. Set aside to cool enough to handle, then cut off the kernels with a sharp knife and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, make the ponzu dressing. Combine the soy sauce, mirin, lemon juice 1 tablespoon sesame oil and sugar in a large bowl.
- Slice the carrots, courgettes and cucumber into ribbons with a vegetable peeler and add to the bowl with the ponzu dressing.
- Add the corn kernels and sesame seeds. Toss to coat.
- Garnish with coriander sprigs and serve.
- Prepare the salad ahead of time and chill until you are ready to pour the dressing. Toss well and serve immediately otherwise it will become too watery and the flavour of the dressing is lost.
- The smokiness of the corn contrasts beautifully with the other ingredients.
- You can also serve the salad in individual bowls for each guest.