This recipe is ideal for a summer BBQ. The scent and flavours of the sweet potatoes amazed me after all these years of cooking them. It is an example of a simple ingredient which transforms into a gusty flavour when done on top of charcoal on the BBQ.
- 3 big sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon red chilli flakes
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup lemon thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
Method for the Sauce
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. Season well with salt and pepper
Method for the Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Scrub the potatoes and wash. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Wrap the potatoes in foil paper and place them directly on the rack in the centre of the oven.
- Bake them for 30 minutes or until they are cooked but not too tender when a skewer is inserted into the centre. Do not allow the potatoes to cool or they will break instead of smash.
- Put one potato on a clean dishcloth on a work surface, cover with another clean dishcloth, and using the flat of your hands, slowly and gently smash the potato. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and transfer them to a tray.
- Drizzle the sauce over them and make sure that both sides are well covered.
- Carefully place the sweet potatoes on the BBQ. Cook them on one side until crisp and then turn them to crisp the other side.
- To serve, slice the sweet potatoes in quarters and sprinkle them with red chilli flakes. Drizzle with some of the sauce if you have any left.
- If you want you can part boil the sweet potatoes in salted water in the kitchen ahead of time, but I find the flavour is a bit bland.
- The sauce can be made ahead of time and can be kept in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
3 thoughts on “BBQ Sweet Potatoes with Lemon Thyme”
this is nice. will try !
Thank you for following my blog. Let me know how it goes!