Definitely a feast for the eyes!
They say we eat with our eyes first and I think with these bruschetta’s you will feel the excitement as soon as you see them. The layers of ingredients and flavours do the talking and in this case more is definitely more. A good bottle of red wine is a must!
- 1 small box cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 loaf sourdough bread or baguette sliced and toasted
- 1 Burrata Mozzarella
- 12 anchovy fillets, drained and halved lengthwise
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley and oregano, finely cut
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Method for the Sauce
- Combine the parsley, oregano and garlic in a small bowl.
- Slowly add the olive oil, whisk to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Method for the Tomatoes
- Cut the tomatoes in half and put them in a bowl. Add olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet on a very high heat. When it is very hot, place the cherry tomato halves cut side down.
- Leave them until they are char grilled. Remove immediately. Work in batches if necessary.
- Once the tomatoes are well charred on the bottom, almost black, remove them using tongs. Place them on a plate, but not one on top of the other. Try to keep them separate or you will loose the char.
- Tear the Burrata Mozzarella into pieces with your hands and spoon the creamy middle onto a bowl.
- Arrange the toasted bread slices on a platter.
- To assemble the Bruschetta, first arrange the tomatoes halves on the bread, then the cheese pieces, and spoon over the chunky creamy centre of the Burrata Mozzarella.
- Drizzle the top of the cheese with the sauce and garnish with the anchovies. Drizzle once again with the sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- It is very hard to know when the tomatoes are burnt but the number one rule of this recipe is not to turn them. Some tomatoes will be blacker than others but that is okay. The tomatoes will be full of flavour.
- You can use other types of bread, just choose your favourite.
- I used baby Roma tomatoes.