A delicious take on an old favourite.
This salad is mouth watering, fresh and crunchy. A great barbecue accompaniment over the weekends and during the summer months.
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- 4 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons Greek yoghourt
- 150g mayonnaise
For the slaw
- 2 green apples, Granny Smith
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, fronds reserved
- 400g, about 1/2 small red cabbage, core removed
- to make the dressing, place all the ingredients except the mayonnaise and the yoghourt into a small food processor. Blitz until very finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and stir through the mayonnaise and yoghourt. Season to taste.
- Quarter the apples, remove the core and thinly slice (use a Mandoline if you have one). Place in a bowl and stir in the lemon juice.
- Slice the fennel very thinly and finely shred the cabbage (use a Mandolin if you have one).
- Add the vegetables and apples to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Garnish with any remaining fennel fronds and chopped pistachios to serve.
- If you want a more runny dressing add more yoghourt, but you must balance well the flavours of the yoghourt and the pistachios. Too much of one or the other you will change the taste.
- I know that there was a time when this recipe was certainly badly exposed, but once you taste this salad you will fall in love with it again.