A spring recipe bursting with flavour. It is sweet, savoury, crunchy and with a tahini dressing that highlights its fresh and delicious taste. All these ingredients are waiting to be explored with roast duck or slices of roast tenderloin of pork.
- 8 kiwis, firm but not overripe (use a combination of gold kiwis and green kiwis (Hayward)
- 8 Lebanese cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 150 grams of soft Feta cheese
- a small handful of fresh mint
Ingredients for the dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- zest of 1 lemon
- a pinch of salt
Method for the dressing
- Start by making the dressing. In a medium size bowl whisk together the honey, the lemon juice, the lemon zest, the tahini, the olive oil, the yogurt, and a pinch of salt. Set aside
- Prepare the cucumbers by slicing them length ways and removing the seeds. Cut them diagonally into chunky slices. If you are using Lebanese cucumbers you do not have to deseed them, they are normally smaller and have almost no seeds.
- Remove the skin from the kiwis and cut them in fours and then cut them diagonally as well.
- In a bowl mix together the kiwi and cucumber slices. Set a side
- To serve put the fruit on a serving plate, crumble the Feta cheese with your hands and scatter the cheese over the fruit.
- Sprinkle the salad with the mint leaves.
- Finally, drizzle the salad with the dressing and sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately.
- DO NOT mix the salad until you are ready to serve because all the ingredients will wilt very quickly.
- If you want the vinaigrette runnier just add more yogurt.
- There are different varieties of kiwis, use as many as you can. They all have lovely green colours, sweetness and sourness making the salad a burst of freshness.