These beetroots are from my garden. I planted them during our Covid- 19 lockdown. For this recipe I used all the young leaves, stems and bulbs. I can say they are a tasty produce from my garden to your plate!
Ingredients for the Beetroots
- 8 beetroots
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- beetroots leaves, to serve
- mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Mozarella cheese
- Toasted hazelnuts, roasted and chopped roughly
Method for the Beetroots
- Put the beetroots in a large saucepan with the vinegar, the olive oil, the peppercorns, the bay leaves and salt. Cover the beetroots with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and boil them gently for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are tender enough to be easily pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Using paper towels, use the palm of your hands and gently smash the beetroots just enough to flatten them on a plastic board.
- Brush the beetroots with olive oil and season with salt.
- Brush a large cast-iron skillet with olive oil and heat it over high heat.
- When it is hot place the smashed beetroots (you might have to do this in batches) and cook them for 2 minutes on each side. Let them blacken the char will give them the flavour.
- Transfer them to a pan lined with foil paper and adjust the seasoning.
- To serve, toss the young beetroot greens and mixed greens, place a handful of this mixture on each plate.
- Place the smashed beetroots alongside the greens. Tear the Mozzarella cheese over the beetroots and sprinkle the toasted hazelnuts.
- Finally drizzle the vinaigrette.
Method for the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the vinaigrette pour 2 tablespoons vinegar into a small bowl and gradually add 6 tablespoons of olive oil until it emulsifies. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Some supermarkets sell the beetroots already cooked, this saves time and makes this salad very easy to prepare. Supermarket beetroots are really good and perfectly cooked.
- You can use other cheeses, such as goat cheese or Feta cheese.