I don’t always drink Sangria in a glass!
I like to serve this festive, fruity and fun drink as a dessert.
It is an easy throw together dessert using summer seasonal fruits such as apricots, peaches, and plums with a little touch of grapefruit, apples and pears.
Ingredients for the Fruits
- 12 mint leaves
- 1 pink grapefruit, or red ruby orange
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 nectarine
- 1 peach
- 1 pear
- 2 plums
Ingredients for the Sangria
- The juice of two oranges
- 200ml red wine
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- The zest of one lemon
Method for the Sangria of Fruits
- Slice the two oranges in half and squeeze their juice into a medium size bowl.
- Then add the red wine, Cointreau, sugar, cinnamon and the zest of the lemon. Mix well with a spoon. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to add the fruit.
- Cut the bottom off the grapefruit and place it cut-side-down on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife slice away a section of the peel from the top all the way down to your cutting board. Make sure that you are making a clean slice and removing all of the white pith. Make slices all the way around the fruit until all of the peel and pith are gone.
- Cut the orange into sections or supremes, by making slices on either side of the membrane that separates the orange sections.
- Peel and core the apricot, the green apple, the peach, and the pear, and then slice the stone fruit into medium size slices.
- Do not peel the plums, cut and core them and then slice them into medium size slices.
- Add the prepared seasonal fruit to the orange and wine mixture (the Sangria). Mix well with a spoon.
- Let the fruit mixture marinate in the refrigerator for two hours or overnight.
- To serve, separate the fruit from the Sangria using a sieve.
- Arrange the fruit in serving dishes and top the fruit with mint leaves.
- Pour The Sangria in a jug and let your guests to serve themselves.
- Always keep your fruit sangria chilled.
- Enjoy the fruit, it is so refreshing and sweet! Do not add anything else. Enjoy!