Crayfish are found off the West coast of Australia. This year there is an abundance of this rock lobster and the prices of this luxury item have come down which makes them affordable to more families.
Let’s break with tradition and let’s cook a paella with crayfish. Even if the name has changed the end result is a moist and delicious CRAYELLA.
- 2 to 3 medium size crayfish tails, cut in half
- 3 large pieces of white fish (red Emperor or red snapper), cut in half
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 red capsicum cut into small cubes
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 onion cut into small cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1g saffron threads, steeped in 50ml warm water (or 2 saches of Fiore dello Zafferano)
- 500g of rice for paella such as Arroz Cebolla (arroz Bomba) or Uncle Bens rice
- 100ml dry white wine
- 2 litres of fish stock (chicken or vegetable stock)
- 2 lemons, sliced in wedges
- 1/4 bunch of parsley, chopped
- Place the paella pan on a low flame and add a little olive oil. Add the onions, the garlic, the red capsicums and sauté all these ingredients until they are soft.
- Add the rice and paprika and stir. Add the wine and allow it to evaporate.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saffron and season with salt and pepper.
- Begin adding the stock, allowing it to simmer until the stock is absorbed. Continue adding stock until the rice is almost cooked.
- Season the crayfish and fish with salt and pepper and arrange on top of the rice. Cover with foil.
- Place the Crayella in the oven to finish cooking for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take the Crayella out of the oven and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take the foil paper away and garnish the Crayella with lemon wedges and sprinkle over chopped parsley.
- it is very important to use the proper rice. It is short-grain rice or Spanish bomba. If you can’t find it Uncle Bens rice works very well.
- Make sure that the rice has formed a small burnt crust around the pan but the rice is still moist and not mushy, otherwise you will end up with a risotto.
- Let the Paella rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.