This Easter dessert is comforting in flavour and spectacular in looks!
Easter is one of the most enjoyable occasions for food lovers. Whether you have a big family feast, or a lunch with friends at home, this dessert is the perfect choice. It is easy to make and requires minimal preparation which will give you more time with your loved ones.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced, plus more for the pan
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated, plus 3 egg yolks
- The zest of one orange
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Powder sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan and coat with the breadcrumbs, tapping out the excess.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (Bain Marie). Do not let the bowl touch the water. Stir until the chocolate is smooth, then remove from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Combine the remaining sugar and the six egg yolks and whisk until thick and pale.
- Add the orange zest, rum and salt and mix well.
- Then beat in the melted chocolate until smooth.
- With a spatula mix the almond meal until just combined.
- In a clean bowl, beat the 3 egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in the reserved 2 tablespoons of sugar on high speed until almost stiff.
- Stir one-third of the whites into the chocolate batter, then gently fold in the rest.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until the top is firm and cracked (a toothpick inserted into the cake will come out fudgy), 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer the mould onto a rack and let it cool for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the pan and remove the ring.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- For Easter top the cake with powder sugar just before serving and decorate the center of the cake with speckled Easter eggs and white chocolate shavings.
- Serve the cake warm and top it with orange ice-cream sorbet or vanilla ice-cream.
- Serve the cake cold and spoon it with big blobs of whipped cream. This is an irresistible combination.