My daughter and I wanted to create a summer dish that could use one of the fruits in season in Perth. Valerie came up with the idea of making a fish ceviche with watermelon. You might think this combination is a bit odd, but it works. It is so refreshing that it makes your mouth water instantly.
Ceviche is a dish dated to the Incas and most Latin American countries have their own version. To us this recipe is our version of our Australian ceviche and we want to share it with you to start the Year 2018.
- 500 grams skinless red snapper, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- 1/2 red pepper finely sliced
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of watermelon, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander to decorate
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Place the raw fish in a glass bowl, add the onion, red pepper, coriander, chilli, and lime juice. Mix well with a spoon.
- Cover the fish with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Let the fish cook in the lime juice for 4 hours.
- Once the fish is cooked season with salt to taste.
- Place the ceviche in small bowls and top it with watermelon. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.
- Ceviche is raw fish cooked by marinating it in lime juice. Other citrus fruits are sometimes used.
- The fish must be super fresh. You can also use, flounder, sole, saddletail Snapper, and cod.
- You can change the red chilli for Aji Amarillo (Peruvian chilli).
- We prefer to marinate the fish and the rest of the ingredients in lime juice first. Once the fish is cooked we add salt. We find that seasoning the ceviche at the last minute makes it less watery and it is tastier.
- Many people replace coriander with parsley.