Asparagus is my favourite Spring vegetable. They are so tender and sweet at this time of the year. The sauce is made simple using store bought hummus. No fuss and a lot of taste.
- 8 slices of Sourdough bread cut diagonally.
- 2 garlic cloves, cut in half
- Olive oil for brushing.
- 250 grams asparagus trimmed
- Lemon zest to serve
- Lemon juice to serve
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely chopped coriander
Ingredients for the Hummus Sauce
- 4 tablespoons prepared hummus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- A handful of fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
Method for the Bread
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Using a bread knife, slice the Sourdough bread diagonally making half inch thick slices.
- Brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet or roasting pan.
- Place the slices in the oven and toast for 5 minutes, or until they are lightly browned around the edges.
- Rub one side of the toasted bread with half of a garlic clove.
Method for the Asparagus
- Preheat the oven 180C.
- Toss to coat the asparagus with olive oil and salt. Arrange a single layer of asparagus on a baking tray.
- Roast the asparagus until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
Method for the Hummus and Coriander Sauce
- In the bowl of a food processor or a blender combine the store-bought hummus, olive oil, sour cream, lemon juice, coriander and salt to taste and process for a few minutes. Make sure the hummus is creamy and smooth and all the ingredients are well combine.
To Serve the Bruschetta
- Use a spoon and gently spoon the hummus sauce on top of each toasted bread slice.
- Top the hummus with 3 to 4 asparagus stems, drizzle with olive oil, a sprinkle of lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, you do not want the bread to go soggy.
- Home made hummus is very simple to make. Use a tin of chickpeas (drain and rinse). Tip them in a food processor, add Tahini, crushed garlic, salt, lemon juice and slowly pour olive oil while it runs. The hummus should be smooth.