For as long as I can remember there was always a tin of condensed milk in one of the kitchen cupboards of my home. The more I think about it, I am sure there was a tin of condensed milk in every single home in Latin America. It was used as milk and as a sweetener. Many years ago Nestle used to make condensed milk in small tins that I used to take to school. I used to mix them with coffee grains, chocolate pieces, vanilla cookies, and lime and orange juice. It was even nice spread on bread.
As my journey around the world started I found myself in Florida and discovered the amazing Key Lime Pie. I have tasted many recipes of this pie but I found them too sweet and most of the time the filling was not cooked.
The base of this Pie is made with ginger biscuits and the filling is a blast of lime juice. It is a marriage of crunchy, silky and citrus flavours and textures.
- 250 grams Ginger Snaps (Marks & Spencer brand)
- 100 grams melted butter
- 375 gram can of condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- Zest and juice of 4 limes
- 170 ml of double cream
- Lime and lemon zest for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C.
- Whizz the ginger snaps to crumbs in a food processor.
- Mix with the melted butter and press into the base and sides of a 22 cm loose-base tart tin using the back of a soup spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Once it is cooked set aside and let it cool.
- Put the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk for 1 minute. Add the condensed milk, lime zest, lime juice and cream. Whisk again until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the filling into the cooled base then put it back in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the filling is cooked, but still wobbly in the centre.
- Cool and then chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- To serve, remove the pie from the tin and put it on a serving dish.
- To decorate sprinkle the pie with lime and lemon zest.
- This pie is rich, do not put any whipping cream, and do not garnish with lemon slices. It is tasty and beautiful as it is. Trust me.
- I like to add lime zest to my filling, it enhances the citrus flavour.