Visit Ireland and most of the time you may not see the sun but the combination of cooler weather and a cold Atlantic Ocean make Irish oysters one of the best oysters in the world. I love oysters and a simple squeeze of lemon brings their flavour to the fullest but I wanted to do something different so I came up with this recipe. The oysters are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. They are delicious!
Ingredients for the Tempura Batter
- 16 oysters
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup very ice cold soda water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the Pink Onion Ceviche
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- The juice of half a lime
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of sugar
Method for the Pink Onion Ceviche
- In a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Put the bowl in the refrigerator for least for one hour so all the flavours blend and the onion cooks.
Method for the Oysters
- Remove the oysters from the shells.
- Dry them well with a paper towel.
- Clean the shells under water and dry.
Method for the Tempura Batter
- Beat the egg in a bowl until frothy.
- Combine all the dried ingredients with a spoon.
- Fold all the dried ingredients into the egg.
- Add the cold iced soda water and mix the batter until it is just barely mixed. It is important not to over beat the batter. The batter should be thin. If you need more water just add more but it has to be very cold.
- Dip the oysters into the batter using chopsticks, it makes them easier to handle.
- Fry them in hot oil (190C) until golden brown and crispy. Perhaps 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the fried oysters on a kitchen paper towel.
- Put the fried oysters back into their shells and arrange them onto plates.
- Mix the onion ceviche and spoon over the oysters.
- Sprinkle with samphire.
- Serve immediately.
- If the batter seems too thick add a little more iced soda water.
- Always keep the batter very cold.
- Samphire is a beautiful wild green vegetable that grows by the sea and is widely available.