Watermelon on the barbecue might seem unusual but the heat brings out it sweetness and makes it very juicy. The watermelon has a subtle smoky flavour that goes well with the limes and the mint.
- 1/2 small water melon
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- 2 limes, halved
- 125g soft Feta cheese
- lots of fresh mint, leaves only
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the barbecue or griddle to high.
- Remove the rind from the watermelon and cut into 8 slices.
- Drizzle the watermelon on both sides with olive oil.
- Cook the watermelon for 2 minutes on each side until charred.
- Grill the lime halves for 2 minutes until charred. Remove and arrange on a platter.
- Crumble large pieces of Feta cheese over the water melon and tear the mint leaves over the top.
- Drizzle with more olive oil, season with pepper, then serve with the lime halves squeezed over the top.
- The watermelon should be cut into thick steaks because if the slices are too thin they will break when you flip them.
- Use lots of mint, they will be the salad leaves.
- Fresh yoghourt is a great sauce for this salad if you do not want to use Feta cheese.
- If you do not want to BBQ the watermelon follow this recipe using fresh cut watermelon wedges. The salad will also be delicious.