EAT THE SEASONS!
It is the end of the summer in Australia and Australian plums are a late summer treat. I like to eat them on their own or use them in fresh salads.
This recipe is just a quick idea to help you in your kitchen to throw together a light lunch or a nice starter.
- Handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped, with some whole leaves reserved
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 ripe plums, halved, stoned and sliced into wedges or quartered
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 x 125grams mozzarella balls, drained and roughly torn
- 30grams pine nuts, lightly toasted
- To make the dressing, whizz the chopped basil in a food processor with the olive oil, half the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of water and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss the plums and tomatoes in the remaining lemon juice.
- To serve, spread out the plum and tomato mixture on a serving platter with the mozzarella, pine nuts and reserved basil leaves.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and then drizzle with the salad dressing.
- Choose plums that are nice and ripe with a sweetness full of sunshine flavours.
- Tear the Mozzarella cheese with your hands.