Give it a try! This Galette is easier to prepare than you might think!
Ingredients for the pastry
- 300g plain flour
- 175g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 25g grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 4 to 6 tablespoons of cold water
For the Filling
- 500g new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 150ml creme fraiche
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- First make the pastry. Put the flour and butter in a food processor with a generous a teaspoon of salt. Pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Tip into a large bowl and stir in the parmesan and thyme leaves.
- Make a well in the middle and using a round-bladed knife (or two knives) stir in the egg yolk and 4 to 6 spoons of cold water.
- Bring together with your hands and knead briefly to a soft dough between two sheets of baking paper and shape into a disc. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C fan.
- Cook the potatoes with the skin on and then peel them and sliced them into rounds (you can cut them thick or thin, it is up to you).
- Put the potatoes into a medium size bowl and add olive oil and thyme. Toss together with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the pastry has rested, remove from the fridge and leave for a few minutes to come back to room temperature.
- Roll the pastry out between two sheets of baking paper to make a rough 35cm round about 1/2 cm thick.
- Remove the sheet of baking paper and pile the potatoes into the middle of the pasty and arrange evenly. Leave a 4cm border all the way around.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the creme fraiche mixture.
- Fold the pastry edges into the middle, if the pastry cracks (it will) when folded, pinch it to reseal.
- Add spoonfuls of the creme fraiche cheese mixture on top of the potatoes.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush the pastry border.
- Slide the Galette onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes until the pastry is cooked and golden (it depends the size of your Galette).
- The pastry can be prepared ahead of time.
- This Galette can be serve with tomato relish.